Thursday, April 9, 2009

The day i tried to install firefox on linux


Being a die hard Microsoft fan...and a windows user I am finding it difficult to work on Linux...of course I'm not new to it...but windows has such an easy interface...the simplicity offered by it cannot be matched by any available Linux release.

I've got so addicted to firefox that I cant even imagine using any other browser!!!! I have tried many other available options(Safari, IE, Chrome, Opera) but I still feel that nothing can match firefox...Its simply awesome...

But windows has its own advantages....you just have to click the setup executable and you can sit back and relax..!!! But on Linux..its a completely different story....

Installing firefox can take more time than installing Linux!!! such are the complications of Linux!! Here at this point I would say...that Linux has a great developer friendly environment...but installing something new can really spoil your day!!!

That 's what has happened since the last 3 days... My addiction to firefox made me try to install it on Mandriva 2006...but the in the end I ended up formatting my machine!!! Such are the complications... For 3 complete days I have tried...googled..but still nothing....huh!!!

For a second, I thought about a shot tempered person trying to install firefox or for that matter anything on Linux...and ending up wrecking his PC...!!!

Right now I am trying to install it on red hat Linux enterprise....but it hasn't made matters simple.....

Just imagine....To install firefox you need the following packages....

  • Pixman
  • ATK
  • GTK
  • GLib
  • Pango
  • Cairo
  • Pkg-config
and on top of that there is a specific order...
if you miss it, don't worry...you just have to start all over again!!.
to add salt to the wound...only some versions are compatible....So.. dear first timer ..I promise you HELL

No comments:

Post a Comment